The World Wetlands Day was celebrated this year by holding the National Conference on Wetlands, Climate Change Adaptation and Biodiversity Conservation (NCWCCBC) on 12 to 14 January 2009 at Silliman University in Dumaguete City. This was organized by the Society for the Conservation of Philippine Wetlands with the Protected Areas and Wildlife Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources and Silliman University.
Objectives of the Conference –
The Conference aimed at setting the stage for the development of a national policy on wetlands, and a national strategy and action plan for the wise use of wetlands and wetlands resources, incorporating concerns on biodiversity conservation and climate change adaptation.
Specifically, the objectives of the Conference were:
- To draw the attention of key stakeholders, including local and national policy-makers to the potential impacts of climate change on wetlands conservation, and biodiversity
- To develop guidelines and mechanics for the updating of the National Wetlands Action Plan
- To initiate the updating of the National Wetlands Action Plan taking into consideration the important role that wetlands play in biodiversity conservation and climate change adaptation/mitigation.
- To come up with a Conference Resolution on defining the main elements and scope of the National Policy on Wetlands and defining an agreed direction for the way forward among the key stakeholders.
Conference Proper Design –
- Plenary: Paper Presentations and Discussions
- Field Exposure Trip / Observation and Community Interaction
- Dinner, Fellowship and Networking
- Workshop / Conference Resolution
Organizer, Partners and supporters –
|The Provincial Government of Negros Oriental||The City Government of Bais||The City Government of Bayawan|
|Balanan Lake Development Authority||Protected Area Management Board of Apo Island Barangay of Apo Island||Balinsasayao Twin Lakes Farmers Association|