The Project: Youth-in-Action for Lake Consevation
The Project aimed to empower and mobilize the youth to take actions that will arrest the deterioration of Laguna de Bay thus contributing significantly to the overall conservation efforts. It covered three lakeshore municipalities (Angono, Binangonan, and Pateros) and two lakeshore cities (Muntinlupa and Taguig).
What we hope to achieve –
- increase awareness of the youth of the importance of the lake in their daily lives by taking actions in their schools and communities to conserve the lake.
- manage domestic waste on a pilot scale and later replicate them to help reduce pollution in the lake.
- expand partnerships for lake conservation among the concerned local government units, the academe, the non-government organizations, and the industry.
Youth Ecological Camps
The Youth Ecological Camp is designed to introduce environmental and lake conservation concepts through lectures, workshops, games and field exposures that are aimed to develop young stewards for the environment. The 3-day ecocamp was conducted in all five project areas. Participants to the ecocamp were invited and screened in close coordination with the local Chief Executive through the Municipal Planning and Development Coordinator and the school Principals. A set of criteria was provided to facilitate the selection of participants.
- Angono (15-17 Aril 2009; attended by 9 Sangguniang Kabataan representatives and 16 high school students from 10 schools of the municipality)
- Pateros (26-28 August 2009; attended by 3 Sangguniang Kabataan representatives and 25 high school students from 4 schools of the municipality )
- Binangonan (25-27 November 2009; attended by 8 Sangguniang Kabataan representatives and 28 high school students from 8 schools of the municipality)
- Taguig City (24-26 February 2010; attended by 25 high school students from 5 schools of the city)
- Muntinlupa City (10-12 March 2010; attended by 2 Sangguniang Kabataan representatives and 25 high school students from 10 schools of the city)
Group Dynamics, Talents Night
Workshop, Visioning, Action Planning