Lumban Delta Design Competition
- To create awareness among college students on sustainability in the fields of architecture, tourism, and the environment.
- To showcase the talents of architecture, landscape architecture and interior design students.
- To encourage the youth, particularly college students, to be an active participant in the building of a sustainable future.
- To promote the participatory approach for all stakeholders of a particular project.
more about the Design Competition >>
Major activities under the competition are the following:
- Launching and Symposium (30 November 2004 )
- Field Visit (11 December 2004)
- Submission of Entries and Judging (2-6 May 2005)
- Awarding and Ceremonial Handover to Lumban Municipal Government of winning entries (17 May 2005)
Submission and Judging of Entries
A total of thirty-five groups turned in their design concept papers on 8 January 2005. This was the next phase of the competition wherein each team illustrated in details through sketches, drawings, and text their concept of the proposed Eco-Tourism site.
The preliminary judging was held at the new architecture building at UP Diliman Campus on 4 May 2005. The judges were Ms. Ma. Cheryl Prudente of the Society for the Conservation of Philippine Wetlands, Ms. Precy Calimag, Project Coordinator of the National Eco-Tourism Project, and Mr. Sotero Himok, Planning and Development Officer of the Municipal Government of Lumban.
Eleven entries were considered for the final judging. The entries/groups included into the final judging were from the following schools: University of the Philippines – Diliman, Batangas State University, Saint Louis University, Far Eastern University, and Polytechnic University of the Philippines.
The final judging phase was conducted in the graduate school room of the new college of architecture building on 10 May 2004. The judges were:
- Mr. Edgardo Manda, General Manager of Laguna Lake Development Authority
- Ms. Felice Prudente-Santa Maria, Commissioner of UNESCO National Commission of the Philippines
- Ms. Ma. Cheryl Prudente, representing Dr. Ben S. Malayang III, President of the Society for the Conservation of Philippine Wetlands
- Mayor Wilfredo S. Paraiso of the Municipal Government of Lumban, Laguna
- Arch. Celestino Ulep, Consultant for the National Eco-Tourism Project
- Arch. Geronimo V. Manahan, renowned Tropical Architect
- Arch. Joven Ignacio, Tropical Design Professor at the University of the Philippines – College of Architecture
Awarding and Ceremonial Turn-over of Winning Entries to the Municipal Government of Lumban at the 10th International Living Lakes Conference in Tagaytay City
At the 10th International Living Lakes Conference on 17 – 18 May 2005 at Taal Vista Hotel in Tagaytay City, the Lumban Delta Design Competition, as it is popularly known, was presented during the Youth Forum. The winners were presented to the conference participants and the press. The winning entries, at the closing ceremony of the event, were officially turned over to Mayor Wilfredo Paraiso of the Municipality of Lumban.
The winners were as follows:
1st Place: MAG WAGI, University of the Philippines – Diliman
- Allan Mark Ignacio
- Joan Margaret Malana
- Jessa Lyn Salvatus
- Alvin Santiago
- Rafael Julius Ramos
2nd Place: ARKI, Far Eastern University
Louie Arante Gan
3rd Place: PARAGON, University of the Philippines – Diliman
- Monica Flancia
- Julius Garrido